Re: Canonical equivalence in rendering: mandatory or recommended?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 07:24:39 CST

On 15/10/2003 05:08, Jill Ramonsky wrote:

> [...]
Thank you, Jill. Clearly there is a performance hit in this rather
general case or in an application in which string handling is dominant
and speed critical. My question was more specific to rendering processes
for complex scripts, where string handling is not already a major part
of the processing but matters of glyph selection and positioning are. My
instinct would be that in such circumstances the extra processing
required for normalisation is almost trivial, especially with
appropriate caching etc. But I have heard other opinions.

--
Peter Kirk
peter@qaya.org (personal)