Re: Java char and Unicode 3.0+ (was:Canonical equivalence in rendering: mandatory or recommended?)

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 14:05:00 CST

Asmus Freytag scripsit:

> I disagree.

I knew some German or Hungarian was going to slug me over this one.
The Hungarian inflation of 1944-46 was something like 10^29, even worse
than the German one. The last six months, January-July 1946, can
be characterized by a *double exponential* growth rate of about e^e^2.7
per month!

> I'm sure no German living in 1919 ever expected such rates. Since we have
> had the benefit of knowing that this was possible at least once, our
> threshold for the truly 'unexpected' should be set even higher.

As a matter of sober fact rather than national hybris, hyperinflation of
the U.S. dollar would be an event that would stagger, if not overthrow,
civilization. Computer systems would be the least of the casualties.

--
And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled, maddening
beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous flutes from