RE: Canonical equivalence in rendering: mandatory or recommended?

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 14:14:42 CST

At 12:42 PM 10/16/2003, Peter Constable wrote:

>This isn't something that can be fixed in rendering systems. It wouldn't
>be hard to do; it's just too much of a performance issue. It has to be
>addressed by the software calling the rendering system.

This interests me, because it addresses the concern about the impact of
performance issues on users who do not benefit from what is being
performed. If, for example, re-ordering of normalised text into
font-renderable text takes place in the generic rendering engine, everyone
is hit by the same performance impact, regardless of whether the software
or the text they are working with requires the additional processing. If
the re-ordering of normalised text happens before calling the rendering
engine, within specific software applicaions, then it only needs to be done
when required.

Is that a reasonable interpretation of your comment, Peter?

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

I sometimes think that good readers are as singular,
and as awesome, as great authors themselves.
                                       - JL Borges