Re: everything's a (was: Klingon vs. Ogham)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 15:23:02 CST

From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <mark@kli.org>

> Michael Everson wrote:
>
> >> It strikes me that the controversy about Klingon has more to do with
> >> its fictional origins than number of users. Is this not true?
> >

> > I don't think so. We will certainly encode Tengwar and Cirth, which
> > have corpora of documents in them. Klingonists universally prefer
> > Latin, and it was the judgement of the UTC that the usage criteria
> > hadn't been met.
>
> And of course, there's all that discussion on Tolkien languages
> online... all of which used Latin transliteration (with slightly varying
> standards too: accented vowels, doubled vowels, tripled sometimes, etc
> etc. "More than one orthography"). This gets back to "everything's a
> code of Latin" again.

I do agree there: transliterations are used mostly because of existing
technical constraints and costs with old technologies. Look for example
about the debate related to berber, which is most often transliterated
to Latin, but with lots of problem notably for its orthograph or predictable
encoding, and which even causes problems to readers as it just appears
as an incompatible set of conventions.