Re: Klingons and their allies - Beyond 17 planes

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 17:52:20 CST

.
Tom Gewecke wrote,

> It seems to me that modern software is perfectly able to "cope" with the
> PUA. Using OS X I can read and write email and web pages in Cirth,
> Tengwar, and Klingon perfectly well. The problems mentioned earlier in
> this thread disappear if one uses correct html/css for websites and uses
> html mail rather than plain text with the Mozilla mail client, which
> otherwise won't let you choose the font for incoming mail.

In addition to the problem of the OS substituting improper glyphs
from inappropriate fonts unexpectedly, there's often a problem with
line breaking.

Since the PUA has no properties, some applications seem to ignore the
space character and break lines arbitrarily, splitting words in the
middle.

Best regards,

James Kass
.