Re: GDP by language

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@jtcsv.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 12:01:19 CST

I found it very interesting too.

For countries with multiple languages it is only approximate, since there is
little data available. What I had done was to take figures from the World
Factbook as to the percentage of the population speaking a given language, and
then parcel up the GDP (from the World Bank) according to those figures. For
some cases I had to go to other sources, e.g. for India I used
http://www.censusindia.net/cendat/datatable25.html.

Thus they are rough figures, since different language groups will have unequal
distributions of GDP; and there may be significant multilingual populations.
Still, I think it is close enough to get an useful overall picture.

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
► शिष्यादिच्छेत्पराजयम् ◄