Re: Line Separator and Paragraph Separator

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 23:19:26 CST

Marco Cimarosti <marco dot cimarosti at essetre dot it> wrote:

> Jill Ramonsky wrote:
>> [...] I've even invented (and used) some 8-bit encodings which
>> leave the whole of Latin-1 unchanged (apart from the C1s) and use C1
>> characters a bit like "surrogate pairs" to reach the rest.
>
> Doug, are you listening? It seems there's a new clone of UTF:-)Z
> waiting for implementation!

Inventing new UTF's, or XTF's, or UTF:-)s is a little like punning, in
that there are at least three types of people:

a. those who do it
b. those who criticize those who do it
c. those who belong to both (a) and (b)

Jill, I'd be interested in details of your invented encodings, just for
fun. Please e-mail privately to avoid incurring the wrath of group (b).

Marco, remind me to tell you sometime about "Dynamic Code Pages."

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/