Re: Backslash n [OT] was Line Separator and Paragraph Separator

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 04:53:39 CST

Kent Karlsson scripsit:

> All of CR, LF, <CR, LF>, NEL, LS, PS, and EOF(!). (Assuming that the
> encoding of the text file is recognised.)

XML 1.0 treats CR, LF, and <CR, LF> as line terminators and reports
them as LF.

XML 1.1 will treat CR, LF, NEL, <CR, LF>, <CR, NEL>, and LS as line
terminators and report them all as LF. PS is left alone, because of
the bare possibility that it is being used as quasi-markup.

I can't imagine why EOF should be called a line terminator, except
in the sense that a "read a line" operation should obviously not attempt
to read past EOF. Calling it a line terminator means that every
document is forced into the mold of being an integral number of lines
long, regardless of the facts.

> Don't know about <LF, CR>. I think that should be two line ends.

I agree. I don't know any system that uses this sequence.

--
BALIN FUNDINUL          UZBAD KHAZADDUMU        jcowan@reutershealth.com
BALIN SON OF FUNDIN     LORD OF KHAZAD-DUM      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan