Re: Backslash n [OT] was Line Separator and Paragraph Separator

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 08:54:10 CST

From: "Kent Karlsson" <kentk@cs.chalmers.se>
> And then, later, we got the
> 0088;<control>;Cc;0;BN;;;;;N;CHARACTER TABULATION SET;;;;
> 008A;<control>;Cc;0;BN;;;;;N;LINE TABULATION SET;;;;
> which I've never seen used. (The daisy weel printers I did use
> long ago had some escape sequence for setting the HT positions.)

As most of these C1 controls come from EBCDIC, their usage may
remain in some terminal emulation protocols used for IBM
systems... As these protocols were highly proprietary (not open),
it would have been widely used but in a restricted environment,
within licenced softwares for emulators, or built into hardware
terminals...

(As far as I kow, I have not seen these graphic symbols for C1
controls that have been encoded in Unicode, outside of IBM
terminals connected to MVS systems).

May be someone in this list from IBM has details about them,
and may explain why they were historically included in
ISO-8859-1, a long time before Unicode/ISO10646 works...

May be there are some archives of the discussions that
leaded to the ISO-8859-* standard sets explaining why
positions 8/0 to 9/F were assigned this way, in all
charsets of the family: was it justified for compatibility
with the 7-bit extension model of ISO646 for 8-bit
processing (including ANSI escape sequences)?