Re: unicode on Linux

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@nic.fr)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 02:54:40 CST

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:56:16AM -0700,
 Peter Kirk <peterkirk@qaya.org> wrote
 a message of 22 lines which said:

> In this page, Markus Kuhn is damaging his credibility by continuing to
> refer in several places to Unicode 3.0, although the page was updated
> some time after the release of Unicode 4.0. Is the rest of this material
> similarly out of date?

Exactly my point. At the present time, trying to switch your working
environment from Latin-1 to Unicode means digging through a lot of
documentations, often out of date or inaccurate, compiling a lot of
programs (see Benjamin Peterson's posting for just one program, grep)
and debugging the whole stuff.

Switching to Unicode requires dedication, for the ordinary Unix user
(who is not an Unicode consortium member, just an ordinary computer
engineer).