Re: unicode on Linux

From: Stefan Persson (alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel@yahoo.se)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 15:07:24 CST

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> I do not agree. It would mean *each* application has to normalize
> because it cannot rely on the kernel. It has huge security
> implications (two file names with the same name in NFC, so visually
> impossible to distinguish, but two different string of code points).

Couldn't this cause problems if copying two files to a floppy on a
system NOT normalising the data (e.g. a customised kernel) with file
names that would, when normalised, be identical and then accessing the
floppy on a system that DOES normalise the data? Then the second system
might think that the two files have the same file name, and wouldn't
know which one you're referring to.

Example:

You make two files on system A: "e-acute" and "e combining-acute". You
move the files to system B, which supports normalising, and request file
"e-acute". System B normalises that to "e combining-acute", and might
point to the wrong file. System B thinks that the name of both files is
"e combining-acute", so even if typing "e comibining-acute" it might
sometimes return "e-acute".

Stefan