Re: New contribution N2676

From: Raymond Mercier (raymondM@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 10:51:53 CST

 Among the new characters in N2676 there is

 10186 G GREEK ARTABE SIGN

 This is one of the many signs found in papyri, such as those edited by
Kenyon. This symbol represents apparently a measure of volume used for
grain. It appears as a small circle, smaller than omicron, with a long
overline, much longer than a macron.

 While I have been looking for the various forms of the symbol for zero I
find in other papyri quite exacty the same character used for 'zero'. I make
this comparison after studying many photographs of papyri, those provided
with Kenyon's editions on the one hand, and on the other, Alexander Jones'
recent volume of horoscopes, Astronomical Papyri from Oxyrhynchus.
 The attached image is take from Jones, part of a column of zeroes written
this way.

 Raymond Mercier

jones2zoom.jpg