transliteration in java

From: Dennis N. Stetsenko (mail@den.st)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 12:25:58 CST

Hello

My apologies if such kind of question is too silly, but I browse quickly
through resources\FAQ and did not find anything useful for me.

I'm having bunch of files that are in Cyrillic charset and I need to
transfer then to some device that is not capable to show such carset
(don't have appropriate font).

So, I've decided to provide transliteration mechanism, i.e. convert
chars from Cyrillic to Latin. The language that I'm going to use is
Java.

Can you guys point me on some useful resource to do so or give me some
recommendation?

=================

I've made some preliminary prototyping, and results appear to be weird.

1 I provide a mapping from a char (lets say Cyrillic) to its Latin
equivalent in sense of transliteration

2 Take the flat file and process it (convert from Cyrillic to Latin)

Sometimes its working, sometimes its not.

Apparently when I run simple things from my IDE it works fine, but when
I'm trying to do the same in standalone mode - it skips processing.

I was hunting down the problem and this is the difference I see:

When I do call like this Character.UnicodeBlock.of(toProcess) for next
char to transliterate, it shows

From IDE - CYRILLIC

Standalone - LATIN_1_SUPPLEMENT

So, I guess the way flat file is read makes big difference. I'm willing
to blame some difference in system properties settings for to such
calls.

Can you help me with pointers to make it the way it should be?

Thanks, Dennis