Re: Unicode and Script Encoding Initiative in San Jose Mercury News

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 15:36:03 CST

Deborah W. Anderson <dwanders at pacbell dot net> wrote:

> The Business section in today's San Jose Mercury News (Friday, Oct.
> 24) has a story on Unicode and the Script Encoding Initiative:
> http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/7092371.htm

Nice article. Good to see some mainstream publicity for this worthy
effort.

My eyes rolled waaay up when I got to the part about "You see, boys and
girls, computers think only in numbers" -- in a Silicon Valley paper,
yet! But I guess this did appear in the Business section, not the
Technology section.

On the typographical dark side, it was quite discouraging to see ``this
horrible quoting convention'' in a Web publication of an article about
Unicode. Should we tell them about “real” quotes?

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/