Re: Hebrew composition model, with cantillation marks

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 06:49:09 EST

    On 02/11/2003 21:55, Jony Rosenne wrote:

    >I don't see any basis for saying "now generally considered misguided". Some
    >people don't like them. Some of the reasons given were based on a
    >misunderstanding.
    >
    >Jony

    Well, for example Ken Whistler wrote in
    http://www.unicode.org/faq/normalization.html:

    > In retrospect, it would have been possible to have assigned combining
    > classes for certain Arabic and Hebrew non-spacing marks (plus
    > characters for a few other scripts) that would have done a better job
    > of making a canonically ordered sequence reflect linguistic order or
    > traditional spelling orders for such sequences.

    And this is quite apart from the much discussed issued of multiple vowel
    points in certain Hebrew words. The proposed solution with CGJ is
    generally considered a bit of a kludge, even by you. Some, not all, of
    the reasons may be based on a slightly different understanding of the
    situation from your rather unique one.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)