RE: Encoding Tamil SRI

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 18:51:46 EST

    On
    > Behalf Of Peter Jacobi

    > I'm looking for enlightment, how to best (or least bad) encode Tamil
    SRI
    > in Unicode. The glyph can be seen as codepoint 0x82 of TSCII 1.7 at
    > http://www.tamil.net/tscii/charset17.gif...

    > 0x82 : 0x0BB8 0x0BCD 0x0BB0 0x0BC0

    That is exactly how it should be encoded.

    > So far, feedback from Tamil experts I got, seem to indicate that no
    > satisfiable encoding
    > exists and they would prefer a distinct codepoint, which was rejected.

    Of course, in order to comment, one would need to know why the above is
    not satisfactory.

    > For example 0x0BB8 0x0BCD 0x0BB0 0x0BC0 is the word 'laughable' in
    Tamil.

    > Alternatives given were
    > (0BB8)(0BCD)(0BB1)(0BC0)
    > (0BB6)(0BCD)(0BB1)(0BC0) (if and when U+0BB6 becomes Unicode)
    > (0B9A)(0BBF)(0BB1)(0BC0)

    Alternatives to what? The first and third sequence would have distinct
    appearances (see attached file), and would consistute distinct
    spellings. The second cannot be evaluated without knowing what they
    intend 0BB6 to be.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division