Re: Tai Lue / Xishuang Banna Dai naming

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 18:37:05 EST

    At 12:54 -0800 2003-11-13, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >P.S. Speaking personally, I don't care all that much. "Tai Lue" is a
    >better English name (even though it is really a Tai name ;-) ), but
    >if the Chinese come into WG2 next June with a ballot comment
    >insisting on a name change, I'm not planning to go to the mat over
    >this.

    I will.

    1) The Tai Lue experts agreed that Tai Lue was the best name for the
    script, in Beijing and in Dublin, and we carefully worked out the
    spelling in native script and IPA phonetics so we could agree the
    best spelling for English.

    2) Xishuang Banna Dai is a pinyin transliteration of the Chinese name
    of the script

    3) The script is **ALSO** used outside of China.

    4) We used Tai Le, the native designation, not Dehong Dai, the
    Chinese designation.

    5) This is pure politics.