Re: Definitions

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 03:49:56 EST

    From: "Jim Allan" <jallan@smrtytrek.com>
    > I take this to mean that any application can refuse to interpret PUA
    > code points and still be conformant.

    I would not say that, it would be excessive.
    An application can use PUA the way it wants, but not line ill-formed
    encoding sequences or non-characters.

    Instead the application should choose the way to manage them. I think that
    many applications choose to handle them like non-combining spacing
    characters with "weak" LTR directionality (like punctuation, or ideographic
    characters), and display a narrow white box.