Re: creating a test font w/ CJKV Extension B characters.

From: Frank Yung-Fong Tang (ytang0648@aol.com)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 18:54:28 EST

    why don't you find a font which already support it ?
    you can find some info here -
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/columns/015/default.mspx

    It is not that easy for you from "don't know beans about fonts" to
    "creat a test font that contains ... \u20050". If you are lucky, it will
    take you several month if not year. There are commercial base font tool.
    But I am not sure they support 32 bits cmap or not (probably not). You
    can start from http://www.microsoft.com/typography/users.htm , but I
    think it will take you a while .... you need the 32 bits cmap support in
    OpenType to add u20050 . I don't know which commercial tool current
    support that.

    Ostermueller, Erik wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'd like to create a test font that contains a
    > a standard US Latin alphabet and the following characters:
    >
    > \u5000
    > \u20050
    >
    > We need this for testing a software app that supports GB18030.

    if you want to get GB18030 test data, one thing you can do is to visit
    my GB18030 test page at
    http://people.netscape.com/ftang/testscript/gb18030/gb18030.cgi?page=10

    That is what I design to test Mozilla's GB18030 support. The page number
      and the layout match exactly what the paper copy of GB18030 so you can
    do a screen to paper copy comparision. I do add addition pages in the
    web (from page 284 and later which is not in the hardcopy of GB18030).
    If you visit
    http://people.netscape.com/ftang/testscript/gb18030/gb18030.cgi?page=596
    and your machine have surrogate support install correctly and surrogate
    font install correctly then you should see surrogate characters show up
    match the gif. IF you click the [Text] in the left upper corner, it will
    open a new window and put those GB18030 text in plain text format.
    Good luck.

    > My main problem is that I don't know beans about fonts.
    > Could someone recommend a good tutorial or 'font creator' application
    > that addresses surrogate pairs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Erik Ostermueller

    Frank Yung-Fong Tang
    Šýštém Årçhîtéçt, Iñtërnâtiônàl Dèvélôpmeñt, AOL Intèrâçtívë Sërviçes
    AIM:yungfongta   mailto:ytang0648@aol.com Tel:650-937-2913
    Yahoo! Msg: frankyungfongtan
    John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,
    that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    Does your software display Thai language text correctly for Thailand users?
    -> Basic Conceptof Thai Language linked from Frank Tang's
    Iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn Secrets
    Want to translate your English text to something Thailand users can
    understand ?
    -> Try English-to-Thai machine translation at
    http://c3po.links.nectec.or.th/parsit/