OFF-TOPIC: Proposed Successor to RFC 3066 (language tags)

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 19:44:07 EST

    Hi Philippe,

    Thanks for the note.

    The announcement here was purely informational. This is off-topic to this list and thus further comments really should be carried off to ietf-languages@iana.org. Cross posting with this list is a Bad Idea, IMHO. I have not cross posted this note to prevent any thread "over there" from escaping back to the Unicode list. I HAVE posted a response to your message to you privately, copy that list.

    Thanks again for the comments.

    Addison

    Addison P. Phillips
    Director, Globalization Architecture
    http://www.webMethods.com
    Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
    http://www.w3.org/International

    It is not a feature.

    I think it's quite strange that these extensions have not used the existing
    restricted encoding set to encode them, instead on relying on "%" and "=".
    Why not using "_" instead of "=" and "." instead of "%", like this:
    "sr-Latn-SP-2003-x-href_http.3A.2F.2Fwww.2Eiana.2Eorg.2F-version_1.2E0"
    (same meaning as the first example above).

    But at least this draft offers a good starting point to indicate locales
    more precisely.

    I fully support the new reference to the ISO-15924 standard for the script
    code, and for documenting the legal values of variant codes (either a year
    with possible era, or a registered tag), as well as clearly indicating that
    languages codes should be the shortest ISO-639 codes (is it true for a few
    legacy languages which previously were coded with 3 letters and upgraded to
    2-letter codes, until there was a policy not to do it anymore in the
    future?)

    Where does it affect Unicode, I don't know, except in its possible normative
    data tables which may contain future language code conditions, or in
    Language tags inserted in the Unicode encoded texts. Does Unicode need these
    extensions?