Re: creating a test font w/ CJKV Extension B characters.

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 08:03:47 EST

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:32:16 +0000, jameskass@att.net wrote:

    > Frank Yung-Fong Tang wrote,
    > > If you visit
    > > http://people.netscape.com/ftang/testscript/gb18030/gb18030.cgi?page=596
    > > and your machine have surrogate support install correctly and surrogate
    > > font install correctly then you should see surrogate characters show up
    > > match the gif.
    >
    > It isn't working, but I have surrogate support and a font correctly
    > installed.

    Using W2K and IE6, if you have a CJK-B font configured for "User Defined"
    scripts under the "Options : Fonts" settings, and manually select the encoding
    for the page as "User Defined", then the second CJK-B character in each box
    (just above the gif image) displays just fine.

    The top character in each box appears to be encoded as GB-18030 (e.g. GB-18030
    0x95328236 = U+20000), and the second character is encoded as hex NCR values
    (e.g. 𠀀 for U+20000).

    If GB-18030 is selected as the encoding for the page (as explicitly given in the
    file), then IE won't display the CJK-B characters correctly (even if you
    configure a CJK-B font as your default font for displaying Chinese), but you can
    copy and paste them to a Unicode editor, where both the GB-18030 and NCR encoded
    forms of CJK-B characters will display correctly with an appropriate CJK-B font.

    If User Defined is selected as the encoding for the page (either manually or by
    changing the meta tag in the file to charset="x-user-defined"), then the
    GB-18030 encoded characters turn to gunk, but the NCR representations are
    displayed using whatever font you have configured for user defined scripts, and
    if that is a CJK-B font then hey presto !

    Andrew