RE: Compression through normalization

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 19:56:05 EST

    Peter Kirk writes:
    > If conformance clause C10 is taken to be operable at all levels, this
    > makes a nonsense of the concept of normalisation stability within
    > databases etc.

    I don't think that the stability of normalization influence this: as long as
    there's a guarantee of being able to restore any desired normalized form,
    processes can use any canonically equivalent representation of strings.

    In fact, this stability is a great benefit as it effectively gives the full
    freedom to transform strings into canonically equivalent forms if this is
    needed: if a database must be built for performance reasons with a
    particular normalization form, its interface will then be able to perform
    this normalization freely. The same is true for data compression algorithms.

    So it's the absence of stability which would make impossible this
    rearrangement of normalization forms...

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com