Re: Definitions

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 10:23:22 EST

    Peter Kirk scripsit:

    > There could of course be
    > problems if there were any precomposed combinations of quotes or ">"
    > with combining characters, but I don't think there are any, are there?

    Just one: U+226F NOT GREATER THAN is canonically equivalent to > followed
    by U+0338 COMBINING LONG SOLIDUS OVERLAY. Consequently, applying NF(K)C
    to XML/HTML that contains this sequence such that the > is a closing
    tag delimiter produces ill-formed XML/HTML. This is considered to be
    a corner case, because there is typically no reason to separate U+0338
    from whatever it applies to by markup.

    This problem is called out in the W3C Character Model draft.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
    If a soldier is asked why he kills people who have done him no harm, or a