Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 20:27:58 EST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr>
    To: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    Cc: "Unicode@Unicode.Org" <unicode@unicode.org>
    Sent: 2 déc. 2003 16:44
    Subject: RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

    > Michael Everson writes:

    > > >I believe the name is in English.
    > >
    > > That's correct. I tried to get Apple to put all the block names in
    > > Irish, of course.... ;-)
    >
    > Using the official Unicode script name in English is not a problem.

    So you say.

    > But a OS vendor could as well choose to translate these names in
    > localized versions of this font if the OS itself is translated.

    Which seems more logical and slighty contradictory with your initial
    leniency.

    But in any case, you need such good eyes to see it.

    My remark was partly ironic (because you can't really read the names
    easily), but if the names are intended to be seen it should be localised
    like any other text the user should see.

    P. A.