RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 08:56:40 EST

    > Using script languages (inclusing Korn Shell or JavaScript) to
    > generate a font is not ridiculous for me, as it helps maintaining
    > the font design consistently without forgetting cases. These
    > scripts are part of the manual design, but they don't necessarily
    > need drawing abilities (however it requires knowledge of the data
    > tables needed to create a fully functional font). You don't need
    > to publish these scripts, but they are certainly good tools that
    > a typographer could ask to a programmer.

    I know it may offence Michael Everson but there are many
    open-source projects aimed at producing free fonts for all
    scripts available in Unicode/ISO/IEC 10646.

    Just visit the impressive resource references collected on:
    http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/

    Don't forget PfaEdit to edit glyph outlines, and the referenced
    font tools.

    Now font design is open to many hackers that have some ability
    in a particular design focus. You don't need to master all
    font technologies as fonts are being now developed with
    small subprojects. Glyphs are only a part of what a font can
    support. Those interested in hinting glyphs, or maintaining
    font design integrity when new glyphs are added can now
    collaborate with their own skills.

    There's no magic behind fonts. In fact, in a near future, most
    Unicode-supported scripts will be easily accessible to users,
    because there will be large collections of OpenType fonts
    supporting them and created with open-sourced licenses.

    So even if an OS still does not provide support for some scripts,
    the OS should be prepared to accept all Unicode scripts with all
    fonts. These OS or software vendors may help those open-source
    projects to enhance their interoperability with foreign scripts,
    and provide in their distribution the best collected open-sourced
    fonts.

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com