Re: OT (was RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 08:29:37 EST

    On 03/12/2003 22:53, Peter Constable wrote:

    >I hope I can give a fair assessment in saying that SIL has also made a
    >not insignificant contribution to getting the writing systems of the
    >world's languages, particularly those that are lesser known, supported
    >in computer systems and in industry standards. ...

    I just want to add that a very significant part of this contribution was
    made personally by Peter Constable during his years with SIL. He has
    been a prime mover in pushing through the organisation a sometimes
    painful but in the long run very necessary transition to Unicode, in
    providing the tools required for this transition, and in educating many
    including myself about Unicode and its proper principles. I am sure SIL
    is missing him greatly, although it will continue to benefit from his
    promotion of Unicode now he is with Microsoft.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)