Re: Missing African Latin letters

From: dzo@bisharat.net
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 06:41:42 EST

    We've had some discussion on A12n-collaboration of such letters without
    uppercase versions in Unicode. The notion of capital letters "not being used"
    in certain languages was called into question for reasons of typographic
    flexibility (what linguists may have meant was actually that these letters are
    not usually found in initial position in words?). I'd think it worth
    considering adding these.

    But first ... what languages do you know them to be used in? I've tried to
    collate and present a lot of such information on the "A12n" gateway page (see
    http://www.bisharat.net/A12N/#countrytables ) but this is only a start.

    Re the r striked or with bar, I know that to be used in Kanuri (at least in
    Niger), and presently it can be composed with one of the combining diacritics
    (don't have the charts handy).

    If you want to search the A12n-collaboration archives, there is a way that is
    not evident from visiting the list homepage
    http://lists.kabissa.org/mailman/listinfo/a12n-collaboration (where you can
    only browse the archives): use the Google search window at
    http://www.bisharat.net and click the Kabissa.org radio button (the archives
    are actually on that domain).

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net