Re: Missing African Latin letters (bis)

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 00:52:28 EST

    Michael, Thanks for the follow up. Replies re characters except for glottal
    stop in text below...

    Michael Everson wrote:
    > At 10:36 +0100 2003-12-05, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > >Some letters used in Latin transcription of Pan-Sahelian scripts are
    still
    > >missing in Unicode:
    > >Is there a proposal to include them, as they are needed for case folding
    and
    > >capital transcrtiption?
    > >
    > >I can identify immediately these two ones that would be needed on
    > >Pan-Sahelian keyboards:
    > >
    > >U+027E LATIN SMALL LETTER R WITH FISHHOOK
    > >U+???? LATIN CAPITAL LETTER R WITH FISHHOOK
    > >
    > >U+0266 LATIN SMALL LETTER H WITH HOOK
    > >U+???? LATIN CAPITAL LETTER H WITH HOOK
    >
    > Looking at the International Niamey keyboard layout given at

    http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=IntlNiameyKybd

    NB- This is not definitive, of course. See
    http://www.bisharat.net/A12N/charsum.html for summary of character data
    mainly from Hartell (1993) or better yet Lee Pearce's more detailed
    inventory at http://www.bisharat.net/A12N/AfricanSymbolsInventory2.doc .
    These are not definitive either but more up to date.

    > it can be observed that, of the set of letters used, four of them do
    > not have capital forms:
    >
    > U+0251 LATIN SMALL LETTER ALPHA
    > U+0266 LATIN SMALL LETTER H WITH HOOK
    > U+0273 LATIN SMALL LETTER N WITH RETROFLEX HOOK

    Not sure why this was added to the keyboard when it was not in either the
    original Niamey "African Reference Alphabet" (for which you give the URL
    below) or in the revised one (in Mann and Dalby 1982, for which you give the
    URL to Peter Constable's presentation of it above). There is another N form
    character in the '82 revised ARA - perhaps it and the retroflex n are
    intended to be equivalent? (I don't have access to the book.) I have no
    info where either are used.

    > U+027E LATIN SMALL LETTER R WITH FISHHOOK

    [ . . . ]

    > What shall we do? Research seems required. ;-)
    >
    > Referring to http://www.bisharat.net/Documents/Niamey78annex.htm we find

    This of course is the original ARA from Niamey '78. It varies in some
    details from the old ISO-6438 which was as I understand it the basis for
    "African characters" included in Unicode / ISO-10646.

    > LATIN CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA

    Would apparently be necessary at least for a major dialect of Bamileke in
    Cameroon. Somewhere I think I've seen the alpha used for Tamasheq
    transcriptions.

    > LATIN CAPITAL LETTER R WITH STROKE

    Can this be dynamically composed like the lower case?

    > LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH UPPER HOOK (not the Germanic one)
    > LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH UPPER HOOK (not the Germanic one)
    >
    > And we find a T-with-stroke that corresponds to U+01AE LATIN CAPITAL
    > LETTER T WITH HOOK and should be considered a glyph variant. Note the
    > glyph variant of U+01A9 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER ESH.

    Peter did a page on the z's and t's (and some others) at
    http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=AfrGlyphVars
    I've been meaning to find out more re the hooked z's and will talk with
    someone here in Niamey next week who might have some info.

    The topic of the capital esh as large version of the small letter was
    brought up by Eric Rasmussen in
    http://lists.kabissa.org/lists/archives/public/a12n-collaboration/msg00342.html
    (it may have come up elsewhere too). I'm not sure what Eris's other sources
    were for this form of capital esh.

    All of what came out of the process of which the Niamey conference was a
    part is of interest - and indeed one wishes had been linked more closely to
    the ISO process - but preference I think you all would agree would go to
    what is actually used in the field. Some of what was inspired by Niamey got
    off on what seems now to be a tangent; some may have been prescriptive and
    apparently never really adopted. (As such, and especially with regard to
    the latter, this may serve as a caveat for some of what's happening in
    Morocco with Tifinagh and the work on encoding it.)

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net