Re: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup

From: Peter Jacobi (peter_jacobi@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 07:39:06 EST

    Hi John,

    > It's not clear to me what you are saying. I have viewed markup-uc.htm
    > with Safari and OmniWeb on the Mac and with IE 6.0.2800.11061S and
    > Opera 7 on a machine running Windows NT4 and there is no major
    > problem with the styled display which is precisely as you specify in
    > the source.

    Thank you for your tests. I've retested with IE6 on Opera7 on W2K

    IE6: The complete syllable comes out blue
    Opera: The characters come out in the wrong order (both
    styled and unstyled!)

    Can you please tell me which fonts you are using? And have you
    added complex script support to NT4?

    > Two things might just conceivably help other browsers
    > along -- to use decimal rather than hexadecimal entities, and to
    > declare utf-8 as the character set [..]

    I think this is only good for Version 4 browsers and they will break
    less subtle.

    Regards,
    Peter Jacobi