Re: Coloured diacritics (Was: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 16:08:37 EST

    On 07/12/2003 12:10, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >The glue seems good in apparence but much too complex to implement in
    >Unicode. I do think that specific occurences of compelx styles must be
    >handled with a stylesheet, where any given grapheme cluster is applied a
    >composite style as a whole.

    >But all this is out of scope of Unicode. Such things should be
    >requested to the W3C as an enhancement proposal in CSS to allow
    >styling only small fragments of text found in text elements
    >(with fragments initially specified as characters or strings of
    >characters, or possibly as regular expressions to match items
    >for which complex style is needed)...

    You may be right, Philippe. This would all be rather complex to
    implement in a word processor when a user selects different diacritics
    and gives them all different colours. But it is implementable.

    Of course there is an even simpler way to provide the glue I was talking
    about. W3C simply needs to relax the rule forbidding combining marks at
    the start of a string (and interpret the one precomposed character with
    ">" as base as if it were decomposed, as I suggested before), and,
    remembering that use of NFC is a strong recommendation rather than a
    requirement, not insist on NFC in such cases. Then nothing needs to be
    added to Unicode.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)