Re: [OT] Euro-English (was: Corea?)

From: dzo@bisharat.net
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 11:42:56 EST

    This is humorous, though I think I saw it some time ago. (For a Unicode
    audience we could also substitute some extended characters such as the eng for
    ng.) It does bring to mind that familiarity with an orthography - mainly
    through experience reading it - is the key to its usefulness. In looking at
    the text below I think of how a written African language might look to a native
    speaker of it who had learned only English or French in school - an orthography
    may make perfect sense (and may even have been around a while) but if the
    person may not have had much exposure to it, it might seem strange...

    I've reposted the earlier items in this thread to Qalam,* which might be a more
    appropriate place for the discussion??

    Don