Re[2]: [OT] CJK -> CJC (Re: Corea?)

From: Alexander Savenkov (savenkov@xmlhack.ru)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 08:30:09 EST

    Hello,

    2003-12-17T14:36:37Z Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

    > Marco Cimarosti wrote:
    >> Doug Ewell wrote:
    >> > I'll go farther than that. It's always bothered me that speakers of
    >> > European languages, including English but especially French, have seen
    >> > fit to rename the cities and internal subdivisions of other countries.
    >>
    >> Rightly said!
    >>
    >> There is reason to rename "Colonia" to "Koln", "Augusta" to "Augsburg",
    >> "Eboraco" to "York", "Provincia" to "Provence", and so on.

    > Or even "Aix-la-Chapelle" to "Aachen" because that's its _current_ German
    > name (the French name was official in the history, and is still used in
    > French).

    > Cities sometimes change name, some of theme being famous like the _current_
    > Saint-Petersbourg (French name revived in Russia with just a

    It's Saint-Petersburg (or St. Petersburg) if you write in English.
    The name has German roots, not French ones.

    > transliteration, the Latin transcription being also widely used by Russians)

    Why would Russians use "the Latin transcription" for a Russian name?

    > which has also been Leningrad or Petrograd or Stalingrad

    Stalingrad was the previous name for Volgograd, not St. Petersburg.
    The initial name was Tsaritsyn.

    Petrograd on the other hand *was* the name of St. Petersburg in
    1914-1924. Leningrad was the name of it in 1924-1991.

    > (in the Latin
    > transliteration of the official and changing Russian script name, this Latin
    > transliteration changing a bit among various languages which used them), and
    > even Saint-Petersbourg officially for some time in the tsar's Russia.

    I wonder what you meant by the "some time" part. St. Petersburg was
    founded in 1703, and therefore stayed St. Petersburg for more than 200
    years, that is it was St. Petersburg *most* of the time.

    You mixed everything up, Phillippe.

    Regards,

    --
      Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/