Re: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 20:45:03 EST

    "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

    > Ohhh... I admit this is hypothetic for a possible use, but the candrabindu
    > case is a precedent coming from romanization of non-Latin scripts: what if
    > there's a combining x above used to interact over a diacritic and mark its
    > suppression in corrected texts or in documents related to
    > orthographic/grammatical rules, or simply because it is needed for correct
    > romanization of some ancient script...

    If special rendering rules are needed for romanisation of particular languages
    there is a facility in OpenType and other "smart-font" formats to include
    different rules for different languages written with the same script.

    One could use this to provide e.g different rendering behaviour for Turkish
    than for other languages written in Latin and I suspect it could be used in
    many cases of transliteration non-Latin scripts (presuming a particular
    language was written in that script)

    Orthographic rules can certainly be handled by features and lookups in smart
    fonts.

    Maybe this is the level on which many of these issues should be handled. We
    only need new characters where it is necessary to make a distinction, or
    resolve something that would otherwise be ambiguous, in plain text.

    - Chris