RE: [OT] Keyboards (was: American English translation of character names)

From: Arcane Jill (arcanejill@ramonsky.com)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 03:05:33 EST

    Yeh, £ is <shift 3> in Britain, right where # is in America (I think).
    Another minor US/UK difference is that <shift 2> is double quotes in
    England, not @. In England, EUR is definitely <alt-gr 4>. I guess
    keyboard designers couldn't use <alt-gr e> because it was already in
    use. On English keyboards, <alt-gr> + a, e, i, o and u give á, é, í, ó
    and ú respectively. The other letter keys have no <alt-gr> assignments
    at all, although obviously I can edit the keyboard layout to change that.

    I never understood why a certain computer company saw fit to squeeze
    three extra keys onto an already crowded keyboard. The left and right
    <windows> keys are functionally identical anyway, and the <menu> key is
    functionally identical to a right mouse click. In fact, if you have a
    working mouse, you'll never use <windows> or <menu> anyway. Okay, I
    accept that that particular OS needed TWO (not three) extra keys so that
    people without a mouse could still use it, but /there were already three
    unused keys on the keyboard./ Unused in Windows anyway. The keys <Prt
    Sc>, <Scroll Lock> and <Pause> may have been needed for DOS, but have no
    use at all in Windows. (Okay, so <Prt Sc> is used for "screen capture to
    clipboard" but who needs a button for that?). They could have just used,
    for example, <Scroll Lock> for <windows> and <Pause> for <menu>, without
    then having to scrunch up the <alt> and <alt-gr> keys and shrink the
    space bar. Maybe they just wanted to make more money by persuading
    everyone they had to buy a new keyboard; maybe they wanted to spread
    their logo around a bit further, who knows? But it was an extremely
    silly idea from the end users' point of view.

    As another aside (and a possibly useful tip), I once had a keyboard with
    black keys, on which the letters were printed in white. Being a
    touch-typist, I painted all the key legends out with black paint,
    leaving only legendless keys. It wasn't the greatest of security
    devices, but no-one else in my household would even /dream/ of using my
    computer thus configured. Passwords? They wouldn't know where to start!
    (Of course, they could have just unplugged the keyboard and plugged in a
    different one, but it definitely stopped the casual curious).

    Jill