Road Map (was: Aramaic unification and information retrieval)

From: Jony Rosenne (rosennej@qsm.co.il)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 08:17:00 EST

    Peter is right and is not alone. I didn't see anyone seconding the other
    view.

    > >The separate status of Phoenician may also need to be reconsidered.
    >
    > Absolutely not. Phoenician is the mother of these scripts and Greek
    > and Old Italic besides. Greek and Old Italic did *not* descend from
    > "Hebrew", and it is pernicious to go on suggesting that Phoenician
    > should be unified with Hebrew. If you want, as some scholars do, to
    > write Phoenician in Hebrew script, go right ahead. That is a
    > perfectly reasonable transliteration choice. Nothing prevents you
    > from doing it. But historical realities and relationships *do* have
    > some relation to the content of the Unicode Standard and ISO/IEC
    > 10646. And that may include encoding things that you won't use,
    > though *others* might.

    Michael, it's the other way round. Hebrew had been and sometimes still is
    written in the script you call Phoenician or Palaeo-Hebrew.

    While it is known that Phoenician did not descend from Hebrew, Hebrew and
    Phoenician and all other 22 letter scripts in this family are descended from
    a common source and are glyph variants.

    > --
    > Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com

    Jony