Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 00:36:25 EST

    Kenneth Whistler <kenw at sybase dot com> wrote:

    > In my opinion, the structure of the collation table should not,
    > however, be the main consideration which goes into determining:
    >
    > A. Whether a particular historic variant of some writing system
    > should be separately encoded...
    >
    > B. Whether, given a technical determination in (A) that a
    > separate script encoding is warranted, whether it should be
    > encoded at all...

    I agree completely. Decide first whether something (a single character
    or a whole script) should be encoded, then worry about collation and
    other ancillary issues.

    > Ancient forms of Aramaic
    > aren't going to be taken up anytime soon for any consideration
    > for encoding. And the Roadmap cannot be taken as a predetermination
    > of the eventual decisions in this regard, in my opinion.

    Maybe not as far as whether it will actually be encoded. We do know
    that "Accordance with the Roadmap" is often the sole justification for
    the code positions specified in proposals, as discussed in a thread some
    months ago.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/