[OT] My mail setup

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 09:24:22 EST

    Jungshik Shin wrote:
    > Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > > Jungshik Shin wrote:
    > > > http://www.dpo.uab.edu/technotes/technote0017.shtml
    > > I know that setting:
    > >
    > > [ ] Always Send to this recipient in Microsoft Exchange Rich Text
    > > Format (RTF)
    > >
    > > It is already unchecked by default for all recipients (I use
    > > plain-text when composing and sending)
    >
    > Your email still came with a completely useless 2.2kB
    > application/ms-tnef attachment.

    I do think now that it's my anti-spam filter and not outlook itself,
    that does this transformation from plain-text to RTF, just to insert
    its banner (but also breaking UTF-8 encoded plain-texts inline body
    by forcing them to ISO-8859-1, replacing non-convertible characters
    by '?').

    Again, I repeat that it's not Exchange (I have no exchange server),
    and not my ISP.

    So unless I find a better anti-spam filter that works without transforming
    texts, I have no better solution, as I really need an efficient Anti-spam
    filter that avoids me to even preview any HTML-composed message, which was
    why I had to abandon Outlook Express in favor or Outlook)

    I have tried Mozilla and Netscape mail, but they are too much resource
    intensive, and contain a lot of memory leaks that explode my system after
    long usage (I need a mail program that I can keep running permanently
    to purge my mailbox from the spams that it constantly receives). With
    Mozilla Mail and Netscape mail, the whole system becomes extremely slow or
    will finally freeze if I let them running for long times, and this is
    very frustrating.

    If only Microsoft wanted to correct its "preview" pane in Outlook Express
    so that it will not render HTML by default, but only the plain-text
    equivalent, it would be excellent for my security and privacy, and I could
    even use more simple anti-spam filters.

    The bad thing is that Outlook Express is not easily configurable to support
    anti-spam filters (the only way to do it is to install a local POP3 proxy
    that I need to configure to scan for external POP3 mailboxes,
    and then let Outlook Express look at emails received on this POP3 proxy.
    But all POP3 proxies that I have tested are even more bogous, badly
    written, and do not resist to long run periods due to lots of resource
    leaks, or simply dangerous to use due to lots of buffer overruns caused
    by badly written code, which would expose my PC to lots of external
    worm threats trying to exploit these security holes.

    My opinion for now is that it's preferable to have my main (inline) email
    bodies transmitted as plain-text, even if I can't send non ISO-8859-1
    characters, and use instead file attachments (but thanks for pointing me
    that Outlook use its own attachment format which does not conform to the
    MIME "multipart" type, but uses its own "application/ms-tnef" format,
    initially created to support MAPI for communicating with Exchange servers,
    but that Outlook should not use silently by default if not communicating
    with MAPI servers (such as with standard SMTP servers).

    I feel very irritated that Microsoft performs this non-conforming job
    silently and call it a "Internet mail" service which is only designed to
    run correctly with Exchange servers. And I feel also irritated that
    Microsoft refuses now to make any further change in Outlook Express,
    promoting too much Office Outlook without saying to its clients that
    Outlook is not compatible and should not be used to communicate with
    people using non MAPI-compatible mailboxes and systems. Finally I feel
    very irritated that even those users using licend versions of Outlook
    2000 can't benefit from a patch tat allows them to completely disable
    the generation of "application/ms-tnef" format for MAPI servers like
    Exchange, when they clearly don't need and don't want it simply
    because they will just use Outlook without any intermediate Exchange
    server or other MAPI servers. Why did I buy Office with that
    false-claiming Outlook program?
    Grrrrr....

    (A frustrated M$ user).

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com