Re: why Aramaic now

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 17:49:40 EST

    At 02:13 PM 12/23/2003, Michael Everson wrote:

    >Rick and I and Ken have all explained our position already. You're doing
    >nothing but stirring up a whole bunch of stuff that we aren't working on
    >now, and that we aren't going to be working on soon. You're not asking us
    >to deal with anything actionable, and this is keeping us from doing work
    >which IS actionable and necessary. We have received Peter Kirk's request
    >for review. I moved Aramaic to the SMP. That doesn't mean that we will
    >ever encode it. It does mean that further research is required. I do not
    >have time or resources to invest in the work required to handle this
    >request right now.

    Michael, I think you are missing the point that other people do have time
    and resources to devote to 'further research' at this time, and this is why
    these discussions are happening. Personally, I'm happy to accept that the
    position of Aramaic in the roadmap is an open issue and is going to remain
    so, but as Elaine pointed out there is a lot of interest in Unicode among
    Biblical scholars right now -- which is a Good Thing -- and some of these
    people are wanting to start addressing some of the questions and issues
    that they are confronting as they proceed. I don't think this means you
    personally need to do anything -- or Rick or Ken -- but there are going to
    be some proposals developed for additional Hebrew characters, and some
    documents on different approaches to unifying or not unifying the
    bewildering array of early semitic writing systems, and these will be
    submitted via the proper channels and will eventually end up in the UTC's
    lap. Hopefully the work that is done -- by the people who are ready and
    willing to do it now -- will be helpful and well presented: up to the high
    standards for proposals that you have set. But will also be evidence that
    you don't need to do everything yourself.

    JH

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    What was venerated as style was nothing more than
    an imperfection or flaw that revealed the guilty hand.
                    - Orhan Pamuk, _My name is red_