Re: Programmatic description of ideographic characters

From: Tom Emerson (tree@basistech.com)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 19:05:20 EST

    Frank Yung-Fong Tang writes:
    > looks like an old idea people in Taiwan gave up long time
    > ago because of the issue of the quality of glyph will never be
    > good enough.

    Agreed. This is something that Knuth was quite interested in one time:
    he and I talked about it after one of my tutorials at IUC that he
    attended. Evidently he had done some work with this with a student
    several years ago, but the results were not good for many characters.

    It is interesting, insofar as every time there is a presentation about
    the IDCs someone expects that it is a simple matter to create glyphs
    from the descriptions. Lu Qin presented some (now defunct, IIRC) work
    at a recent IUC (I can't remember which one) about the use of the IDCs
    in Hong Kong for describing characters outside of Unicode or HKSCS.

        -tree

    Software Architect                                 http://www.basistech.com