Pre-1923 characters? (was: unicode Digest V4 #3)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 05:50:15 EST

    On 04/01/2004 15:48, Charles Cox wrote:

    >Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >

    >>I maintain that if you remove the glyph shown for latin letter oi
    >>(considered only as informative and not mandatory in any of its aspects),
    >>and just keep its normative name, then many people will think that the
    >>encoded character really represents a letter named or pronounced "oi".
    >>

    >Which
    >

    >>is completely wrong in our case. But would allow people to use the
    >>

    >assigned
    >

    >>code point to represent the L-shaped character "i with lower-right
    >>

    >hook"...
    >
    >Not a good idea: the Nogai and Khakass languages appear to have used both
    >gha/oi and "i with lower right hook" according to
    >http://www.writingsystems.net/languages/nogai/nogailatin.htm and
    >http://www.writingsystems.net/languages/khakass/khakasslatin.htm .
    >
    >Charles Cox

    Thank you, Charles. I note also that both Nogai and Khakass used the
    dotless i with lower right as well as the small b or soft sign as
    distinct characters, which implies that these two cannot be considered
    as glyph variants as they might be for Azerbaijani.

     From the same site,
    http://www.writingsystems.net/languages/azeri/azerilatin1.htm shows an
    odd Azeri Latin alphabet for 1922-1928 which seems to have an L with a
    hook, but this is probably an error for the dotless i with hook which is
    missing.

    I am amazed that this whole site seems to be at least 13 years out of
    date despite the copyright notice © 1998-2004, as it has no mention of
    the Azeri Latin alphabet adopted in 1991. I shall report this to the
    site administrators.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)