Re: U+0185 in Zhuang and Azeri (was Re: unicode Digest V4 #3)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 06:48:54 EST

    On 05/01/2004 17:37, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >Michael Everson has asserted that U+0184/U+0185 *are* the intended
    >characters for the Pan-Turkic Latin alphabetic use of the Cyrillic
    >soft sign letter. This is at odds with the history of the Unicode
    >Standard and with Michael's own prior assertion in:
    >
    >http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/turkmen.pdf
    >
    >"Latin <soft sign> [is] not encoded in the UCS, complicating
    >things like monolingual multiscript ordering since the current
    >UCS expects Cyrillic <soft sign> to do double duty." [2000-06-02]
    >
    >That earlier statement by Michael correctly reflects the intent
    >of the standard, I believe. It also correctly reflects Michael's
    >observation earlier today:
    >

    >>In Pan-Turkic, though, it looks just like CYRILLIC SOFT SIGN in all
    >>the sources I have seen. For lots of languages.
    >>

    >And the Unicode solution for that, to date, has been that since
    >it "looks just like" the CYRILLIC SOFT SIGN in all the sources,
    >by gum, it *is* the CYRILLIC SOFT SIGN.

    I hope that Ken, Michael and others can agree on a resolution of this
    issue. I don't care much either way, although Michael's way seems
    preferable to me since we have a suitable Latin letter already encoded.
    But, whichever way, please can we have it clearly defined with an
    informative note in the standard. After all, it will be a bit tedious
    and inefficient if each time someone wants to know which character to
    use they have to spark off a new debate on this issue.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)