Detecting encoding in Plain text

From: Brijesh Sharma (bssharma@quark.co.in)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 06:07:30 EST

    Hi All,
    I am new to Unicode.
    I writing a small tool to get text from a txt file into a edit box.
    Now this txt file could be in any encoding for eg(UTF-8,UTF-16,Mac
    Roman,Windows ANSI,Western (ISO-8859-1),JIS,Shift-JIS etc)
    My problem is that I can distinguish between UTF-8 or UTF-16 using the BOM.
    But how do I auto detect the others.
    Any kind of help will be appreciated.

    Regards
    Brijesh Sharma

    "You're not obligated to win. You're obligated to keep trying to do the best
    you can every day."