Re: Chinese rod numerals

From: Christopher Cullen (c.cullen@nri.org.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 09:47:06 EST

    I am very grateful to those who have devoted time to discussing the
    suggestion I made about encoding Chinese rod numerals. Leaving to one
    side technical points about where in Unicode any new encodings might be
    placed ( I don't know enough) may I make some points on John Jenkins'
    useful contribution - which asks in effect whether the rod numerals are
    actually characters rather than graphics. To this I would reply:

    (1) The web page I cited was chosen purely in order to let list members
    see what the rod numerals looked like. Its statements about the nature
    and usage of these numerals should not be taken as authoritative.
    Better accounts are to be found in Chinese histories of mathematics,
    such as that of Li Di 李迪 Zhongguo shuxue tongshi 中国数学通史 Nanjing 1997,
    pp 53 ff., in which their origins and early usage are discussed.
    Accessible and readily available English language discussions include
    HO Peng-Yoke, Li Qi and Shu: an Introduction to Science and
    Civilisation in China, Hong Kong 1985 rep. New York 2000, 55-58, and
    92-104, and as part of the magisterial work by Joseph Needham, Science
    and Civilisation in China, volume 3, Cambridge 1959, pp 5-17, 45, 62
    and 129-133.

    (2) The Unicode home page says: "The Unicode Standard defines codes for
    characters used in all the major languages written today. Scripts
    include the European alphabetic scripts, Middle Eastern right-to-left
    scripts, and many scripts of Asia. The Unicode Standard further
    includes punctuation marks, diacritics, mathematical symbols, technical
    symbols, arrows, dingbats, etc.". I suggest that in an enterprise so
    universal and cross-cultural as Unicode, the definition of what counts
    as a "mathematical symbol" has to be conditioned by actual mathematical
    practice in the culture whose script is being encoded. We cannot
    simply take modern western mathematics as the standard. This means we
    have to look at the usage of Chinese mathematical writers in the
    periods in which rod numerals are used (and indeed this is the
    implication of John Jenkins' very sensible approach in his message).

    (3) The most sophisticated indigenous Chinese mathematical texts before
    contacts with Western techniques (which did not, by the by appear
    obviously superior when the Chinese first met them in the 17th century)
    come from the algebraists of the late Song and Yuan periods (13th-14th
    centuries AD). The historian of science George Sarton characterised
    one of these, Qin Jiushao, as "one of the greatest mathematicians ...
    of all times". Qin developed methods for solving problems which would
    in western terms involve equations of up to the power 10. To do this
    he made use of a matrix notation in which rod numerals were essential.
    Needham (p. 131,132) reproduces pages from the work of two of Qin's
    contemporaries in which rod numerals appear in the text: the second
    example is particularly striking as showing a sequence of normal
    written characters with the rod numerals used as ordinary numbers. At
    a much more demotic level, Li Di (pp. 389 ff discusses and illustrates
    a mathematical MS from the Dunhuang cave shrines (possibly dating
    7th-10th C.) in which rod numerals and common characters are mixed. On
    this basis, I suggest it is reasonable to allow that in Chinese terms
    the rod numerals should at the very least be admitted into the category
    of "mathematical symbols, technical symbols, arrows, dingbats, etc." ,
    and personally I should urge that they should be accepted as a
    technical way of writing numbers - which is how they frequently
    functioned.

    I hope this helps to advance the discussion. Further comments would be
    welcome.

    Christopher Cullen

    On 13 Jan 2004, at 01:45, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    > John Jenkins responded:
    >
    >> Personally, I think it's an excellent idea.
    >
    > I have my doubts, personally, but concur that getting a proposal
    > together to debate the merits is a good idea.
    >
    >> It'd be good to get it on
    >> the UTC agenda for next month, so if you could start on the form. I
    >> can give you any help you need.
    >

    >> On Jan 10, 2004, at 5:23 AM, Christopher Cullen wrote:
    >
    >>> These represent the arrays of "counting rods" on a counting board as
    >>> used in China for complex calculations before the invention of the
    >>> abacus. There are eighteen forms in all, representing the numerals
    >>> one to nine in two forms which are basically versions of each other
    >>> with a 90 degrees rotation. One form is used for units, the the
    >>> other
    >>> for tens, then back to the first form for hundreds, and so on. A