Diacritical glyph variants in Portugal

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 16:02:01 EST

    * ACUTE

    At
    http://globis.geog.uu.nl/Users/Perk/MinWat/Analysis.asp?Country=Portugal&Brand=Agua%20Castello
    you can see a fac-simile of a bottle label of Água Castello, a
    portuguese mineral drink water brand. Please note the glyph variant for
    U+0301 (acute accent mark), shaped as an apostrophe and placed before
    the letter -- a residue from 19th cent. poor typography fall back.

    Direct links to images:
    http://globis.geog.uu.nl/Users/Perk/MinWat/labels/P_ACastello.gif
    http://www.nestle.pt/produtos/imagens/produtos/375.aguas_castello.gif
    http://www.mouradigital.com/images/acast2.jpg

    * TILDE

    At < http://www.egeac.pt/cinemasaojorge/ > you can (hardely) see the
    side entrance of the São Jorge movie theatre, in Lisbon, with a glyph
    variant for U+0303 (tilde), the "wave" going down and up instead of the
    other way around.

    Direct link to image
    http://www.egeac.pt/cinemasaojorge/images/cinemasaojorge.jpg

    Another instance of this variant can be found in the font type used for
    cover titles in the portuguese right-wing tabloid _O Diabo_, of which
    though I could not find any example on line.

    This is not an unusual variant, though seldom seen in typeset form, it's
    mostely a handwriting variant.

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    Rua Alberto Bramão, 8-1ºd.to |
    PT-1700-132 LISBOA Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |

    Até 3.000¤ com resposta em 24h - www.cofidis.pt - COFIDIS - O crédito por
    telefone.