Re: Klingon

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 13:19:37 EST

    Jon Hanna scripsit:

    > A locale-sensitive title-case operations for the Klingon language would not
    > produce "Yijachqo'. Vitlhob." from "yIjachQo'. vItlhob." any more than a
    > locale-sensitive title-case operation for the Irish language would produce
    > "Nathair" from "nAthair" although a deliberately "fuzzy" case-folding operation
    > might.

    Great minds think alike.

    > If Klingon isn't in the Latin script the joke about having the word "ghoti" for
    > fish isn't as funny.

    It's silly: "gh" is /f/ only finally, and "ti" is /S/ only in "-tion" and
    friends. English spelling is clunky, but not that clunky.

    "Some of the English might say that the Irish orthography is very Irish.
    Personally, I have a lot of respect for a people who can create something
    so grotesque." -- Andrew Rosta as quoted by Nick Nicholas

    --
    "Clear?  Huh!  Why a four-year-old child        John Cowan
    could understand this report.  Run out          jcowan@reutershealth.com