Re: Cuneiform Free Variation Selectors

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 16:53:43 EST

    On 18/01/2004 12:20, Michael Everson wrote:

    > I do NOT believe that this thread should be discussed on the Unicode
    > List. I am responding to it only because Dean has let loose another
    > brace of hares. Let us reign them in, and kill this thread now.

    > Because we are not going to use a "dynamic" model to encode Cuneiform.
    >
    > Now have DONE.

    I find this kind of attempted censorship of technical discussion highly
    distasteful, especially when conducted in such a disrespectful (!) ad
    hominem manner. Michael, it is quite clear that the "decision" to use
    the static model, which you claim has been made finally (although as I
    understand it the UTC has yet to come to a conclusion on the issue),
    does not have the full backing and confidence of the experts on
    cuneiform script (I am not one; nor, I think, are you). The implication
    is clearly that the whole issue needs to be referred back to these
    experts for further consideration. It will simply not work to impose on
    them a solution which is unacceptable to a good number of them. If there
    are good technical arguments against what Dean is proposing (and I agree
    with you at least that following the Mongolian model does not look
    promising - the distinction Dean makes in his last paragraph between
    graphical difference and semantic difference shows that the same model
    does not fit), then those arguments should be made in a proper technical
    discussion.

    So please take this issue back to the drawing board, and discuss it
    again on the proper list, in a proper respectful manner on both sides.
    Michael, I think you are probably right on the technical issue. But you
    need to persuade Dean of that by proper argument and not impose your
    solution on him against his will.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)