Mongolian Unicoding (was Re: Cuneiform Free Variation Selectors)

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 00:23:31 EST

    .
    Dean Snyder wrote,

    > Tom Gewecke wrote at 2:26 PM on Sunday, January 18, 2004:
    > >
    > >Agreed. I can't imagine that anyone who has ever tried to actually do
    > >anything with Unicode Mongolian would recommend variation selectors as an
    > >encoding technique, unless perhaps they wanted to make sure the encoding
    > >was never implemented.
    >
    > Could you please elaborate? Has this modle not been implemented? Either
    > via Unicode or otherwise?

    Here's how it works: there are three factions involved. The OS and
    rendering-engine developers, the editor/processor/input developers,
    and the font developers. Each faction considers that the fancy stuff
    needed for Mongolian rendering should properly be handled through
    a combination provided by the other two factions.

    Seriously, it's my understanding that implementation guidelines
    for Mongolian script and Unicode are still being worked out.

    Aside from experimental set-ups, it's unlikely that anyone can
    yet correctly (or, even reasonably) display the Mongolian text
    on Andrew C. West's test pages.

    Best regards,

    James Kass
    .