Re: Unicode forms for internal storage - BOCU-1 speed

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 19:41:53 EST

    Philippe suggested:

    > I don't object proposals to define new "UTF-*" forms,
    > but this should still be
    > proposals for an otherwise distinctly named encoding form, chosen by the
    > proposal author out of the "UTF-*" naming space.

    The UTC clearly does object to proposals to define "new 'UTF-*' forms".
    But if what you mean by "out of the 'UTF-*' naming space" is that
    people coming up with new bit twiddles on characters should avoid
    calling them UTF-whatever, and use names such as, for example,
    "Marc Crispin 9-Bit Unicode Twiddle" (MC9BUT) or whatever, then I
    think we are in agreement.

    > I have seen several other informal proposals for "UTF-*" forms/schemes.
    > All this is just confusive, and their authors should imagine their own names
    > for reference. What do you think of this idea?

    It is, indeed, "confusive". Some of us have deliberately contributed
    to the confusion with tongue-in-cheek additions. See my own
    UTF-17 (draft-whistler-utf17-00.txt). I would not object if
    henceforward people referred to that as KW-UTF-17, to avoid
    confusion. :-)

    --Ken