RE: Does Java 1.5 support Unicode math alphanumerics as variable names?

From: Arcane Jill (arcanejill@ramonsky.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 06:01:04 EST

    I would be very surprised if it did, since Java chars are still only
    sixteen bits wide, and the new math alphanumerics are not in BMP. Still,
    I'd be /very/ happy to be proved wrong on this one.

    Actually, I'd quite like to use these as variable names in other
    languages too, like in C++ for example, but I think that may be
    forbidden due to some standard or other.

    You /can/ get away with using math alphanumerics in variable names in
    PHP. This is because PHP stores its code in eight-bit wide bytes, but
    defines only ASCII characters. It allows any characters in range 0x80 to
    0xFF to be part of a variable name, so ... if you use UTF-8, you can use
    math alphanumerics. All you need is the right text editor to manipulate
    the source code. Unfortunately, this is not an ideal situation either,
    because of course it would /also/ be nice to be able to use the proper
    math operators as, well, math operators!

    Jill