Re: Collation for Greek letter koppa

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 16:11:43 EST

    On 26/01/2004 11:54, Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 08:39 -0800 2004-01-26, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >
    >> I have submitted to the UTC a proposal for changing the default
    >> collation for the various forms of the Greek letter koppa, and
    >> uploaded it to http://www.qaya.org/academic/greek/Koppa-proposal.pdf.
    >> Your comments are welcome.
    >

    > I have a comment.

    Thank you.

    >> See also Michael Everson's 1998 proposal for separate encoding of
    >> archaic koppa, http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n1938.pdf
    >> (note that Everson confuses san and sampi).
    >

    > Did I, in 1998? Golly. Must you point it out in quite this way, Peter?
    > It just sounds like that Simpsons characcter who points and says "Hah
    > hah!".

    Sorry, Michael, but this is important because I understand that there
    will be a separate UTC discussion on collation of san and sampi, and I
    don't want UTC members to be confused by rereading N1938. You are by no
    means the only person to be confused by these two characters, but see
    http://www.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis/unicode/numerals.html#sampi and
    http://www.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis/unicode/nonattic.html#san. I don't say
    things like this for the sake of it but only to avoid perpetuating
    misunderstandings.

    >> I note that Everson proposed disunification of alphabetic koppa
    >> (variety 1) from numeric koppa (varieties 2-4); but the decision
    >> taken by Unicode and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2 was to disunify archaic
    >> koppa (varieties 1-2) from modern koppa (variety 4).
    >

    > Jeepers. Could it be that in discussion with other experts, the idea
    > was refined, and that this does not imply that Everson was -- horrors
    > -- wrong?

    I have made no suggestion that either of these two disunifications is
    wrong. They are simply different; and the one chosen has now become the
    standard.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)